Monday 25 March 2013


A learners’ access to the toolbox – Pauline Hughes, 21st March 2013.

 

I do not consider myself to be particularly “techie”, and all of the Internet skills that I have, I have learnt from attending classes at Open Door Adult Learning Centre. Of course I surf the Internet at home, using my personal computer, but mainly for holidays and insurance comparisons. Usually I find that I can get around most websites without too much problem.  I have been asked to access this toolbox, using an android-based 10” Tablet. This is a new technology to me.

 

Upon accessing the toolbox website I had expected to see pictures of “tools” to identify the different tools available. When I realised that the tools were available from web links, I quickly navigated around the toolbox website. The following are my observations:

Moving backwards and forwards from page to page is relatively easy.

All the tool links require 2 clicks to actually access the tool ?

A lot of duplication of tools within the different sections (steps)

Some of the “tool” descriptions sound wonderful, but the linked more detailed descriptions are more appropriate.

A would have expected rather more tools for the “teaching and learning” step of the journey, isn’t this the central crux of a learner’s journey?

Some of the tools have limitations, or restrictions, or cost money.

Access from the android Tablet to some of the tools proved a little awkward, especially downloading the PDF descriptors.

No right-click on the Android hindered me, but did not prevent me.

Useful tools identified, were Job Match, Go!Animate, Animoto and Google Docs.

No comments:

Post a Comment